
So, we all know how puntcually challenged I am when it comes to Birthdays, Anniversaries, Holiday's etc...I'm alway full of good intentions but somehow time always seems to have the upper hand with me and I'm continually playing "catch up"...so a belated "Happy Mother's Day" to all the Mom's out there in Bloggerland. I have a journal of quotes, letters, scripture, poetry and the like that I have kept for about 20 years and every now and then I get it out and glance through it. I had it out a couple of weeks ago and found this poem written by my great-great Grandmother, Mary Turpin Bennion. She wrote it in honor of her mother Elizabeth when Elizabeth passed away. She titled it:
"In Memory of My Mother Died" December 22, 1863.
Dear Mother thou art dear to me
Though thou art gone to rest
And thy advice so good and true
Is a comfort in my breast.
Dear Mother when I think on thee
And words thou hast said
I feel that they are good and true
and blessings on my head.
And when I look on this dark world
And think it a trouble here to dwell,
I know thy gentle voice would say
"Do right and all is well"
I ever shall remember Mother
The day when last we met
When you clasped me to your bossom
With kind words I can't forget.
When you looked upon me then
'Twas with a mothers love
You prayed for God to bless me
with wisdom from above.
Thou tauth my infant lips to pray
And always love the truth
Thou watched or'e me in infancy
and guarded me in youth.
Mother why should I mourn for you
When thou art gone to rest
Far from this wide and wicked world
Thou dwellest with the blest
And when my days on earth are past
And my work is finished here
O, may I dwell with thee at last
And those I love so dear.
I wonder what Mary would think of her poetry being posted on a blog nearly 150 years after she wrote it!! Times change but our feelings for our mothers seem to be the same.
The picture I'm posting with this (sorry it's not the greatest reproduction but I was in a hurry AND I did it without Gracie's help!!) is of Mary Bennion and three of her grandsons Jack, Milton and Paul. Milton is my grandfather and is the boy with his arm around Mary and he was about 2yrs old . I love is picture...its not often at that time that you saw much affection in photographs, so I love it that my grandfather has his arm around her.
And just another family tidbit, Mary is also great-grandmother to President Henry B. Eyring.
1 comment:
Gosh Julie, what a heritage you have!! The poem is beautiful and I like you wonder what she would think of the world now and that her poem is posted on a blog. I really miss all of you- Wendy
Post a Comment